Law Collection Suggestions for Public Libraries in New Jersey
by Paul Axel-Lute, Collection
Development Librarian, Rutgers Univ. Law School Library, Newark
last updated August 24, 2010
- New Jersey Legislature This site includes
the state Constitution, the New Jersey Permanent Statutes Database, pending
bills, and other legislative information.
New Jersey Administrative Code and Register Page:
Freely accessible from this site are:
the New Jersey Administrative Code (updated quarterly), and the New Jersey Register from
July 1995 through the latest issue. Instructions are provided for
updating the N.J.A.C. using the N.J.Register.
- New Jersey Judiciary This site
includes the Rules Governing the Courts, court directory information, a self-help resource
center for pro-se litigants, explanatory material on the court system and the judicial process,
and the most recent opinions of the Supreme Court and the Appellate Division of the Superior Court.
- LSNJ LAW: You and the Law in New Jersey,
part of the outreach program of Legal Services of New Jersey, designed for low-income
United States Code
- Code of Federal Regulations
- U.S.Supreme Court Center (Justia.com).
Internet Law Guide (at Rutgers-Newark Law Library). This Guide has many specific
links to free web sources on New Jersey law and Federal law, as well as links to more
general legal sites.
New Jersey Lawyers Diary and Manual Annual;
approx. $90; published by
Lawyers Diary and Manual, P.O.Box 50, Newark, NJ 07101, tel. (800) 444-4041
Includes directory information on New Jersey lawyers and judges, courts and other government
departments, municipalities and counties. Also available in web-based format
under the title For and About Law.
- You and the Law in New Jersey: A
Resource Guide, by Melville D. Miller, Jr.,
Leighton A. Holness, and the Staff of Legal Services of New
University Press, 1998, ISBN 0-8135-2532-2, paper,
- Elder Law in New Jersey: Finding
Solutions for Legal Problems, by Alice K. Dueker.
University Press, 2000, ISBN 0-8135-2736-8, paper,
Guide to the New Jersey Lemon Law (from N.J. Division of
Legal Services of
New Jersey, Self-Help Publications. Publications viewable
at this site include:
Also on the site are prices and order information for
- Clearing Your Record, a guide to expungement
of arrest or conviction records (note: web edition does not
- Know Your Welfare Rights (five titles, each
available in either English or Spanish)
- Looking Out for Your Legal Rights (monthly
- Tenants' Rights in New Jersey
- Termination of Parental Rights: A Handbook for
Jersey Division of Civil Rights, Fact Sheets: Eight fact
sheets on various kinds of discrimination, designed for
downloading and reproduction.
- New Jersey Judiciary, Forms and Kits for
Self-Represented Litigants (Pro Se). (See also the
United States District Court, District of New Jersey, Procedural Guide for Pro Se Litigants, and the page
Filing Without An Attorney at the
U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Dist.of N.J.)
Jersey State Bar Foundation Publications.
The titles that can be downloaded from this site include:
- AIDS and the Law in New Jersey: A Practical
- Bankruptcy: A Basic Guide to Personal Bankruptcy
- Consumer's Guide to New Jersey Law
- Disability Law Primer
- Education Rights of Homeless Students
- Law Points for Senior Citizens
- Legal Consequences of Substance Abuse
- Residential Construction & Renovation: A Legal Guide for New Jersey Homeowners
- The Right to Special Education in New Jersey: A
Guide for Advocates
- Students Rights Handbook
- Understanding Public School Residency Requirements: A Guide for Advocates
New Jersey Taxpayer's Bill of Rights (from Div. of
- Women's Guide to
Rights & Resources in New Jersey (from League of Women
Legal Information: How to Find It, How to Use It,
by Kent C. Olson. Oryx Press, 1999, ISBN 0-89774-963-4, paper, $39.50.
Portions of this book that may be of particular interest to public libraries developing legal
collections include pages 14-20, giving critical comparisons of legal dictionaries, and
pages 44-47 and 56-58, listing consumer-oriented books on law.
Public Library Collection Guidelines for a
Legal Research Collection This is part of the
Public Library Toolkit, written by
Marsha Thomas and Betsy Sandison, offered by the Legal Information Services to the Public
Special Interest Section of the American Association of Law Libraries.
- Gann Law Books, One Washington Park, Suite 1500,
Newark, NJ 07102, tel. (973) 268-1200.
- Rules Governing the Courts of New
Jersey, with annotations by the late
Judge Sylvia B. Pressler, continued by former Justice Peter Verniero.
Annual editions; about $100.
- N.J. Rules of Evidence Annotated, notes
by Richard Biunno, Esq.
Annual editions; $90.
- N.J. Criminal Code Annotated, notes by
John Cannel, Esq.
Annual editions; $90.
- The Lawbook Exchange, Ltd.,
33 Terminal Ave., Clark, NJ 07066-1321, tel. (800) 422-6686. A second-hand
dealer, often has New Jersey sets at substantial savings compared to list prices.
Publications include the New Jersey Administrative Code and
New Jersey Register, Shepard's New Jersey Citations, various treatises
- New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- New Jersey Law Journal Publishing Co., P.O. Box 20081, Newark, NJ
07101, tel. (973) 642-0075. Publishes single-volume practititioners' treatises on several
- West. The principal
publisher of New Jersey primary legal materials, including the New Jersey Statutes
Annotated and New Jersey Session Law Service, and the
New Jersey Reports and New Jersey Superior Court Reports.
West also publishes the New Jersey Digest (a case-law finding tool),
and the New Jersey Practice series of treatises and formbooks.
At their website, scroll down under "Shop By" and click "Jurisdiction" to get
listings of New Jersey publications.