Polity & Structure
House of Deputies
House of Bishops
and dioceses of the Anglican Communion
377 S. Harrison Street, 12D
East Orange, NJ 07018
Phone: 973-395-1068 h
the guestbook and view it.
Louie & Ernest Clay-Crew
Reflections and Visions of Anglican Pilgrims
Note: Items are in reverse chronology of their being posted here, the
most recent items coming first.
Anyone who would
be first must be last, and servant of all by The Rev. Canon Elizabeth
Do Not Forbid
Him by The Rev. Canon Elizabeth Kaeton
A Prayer of Acceptance
& Love by Phil Ferrara, Sr.
Rocks of Ages.
A review of Stephen Jay Gould's book, by Nat Brown
No Holy Communion
for you, Buddy! by the Rev. Robert Cromey
of Holy Union Lee Alison Crawford and Anne Clarke Brown
On the 'Continuing
Churches' of Anglicanism , a response to Forward in Faith's "Declaration"
by The Rev. Tony Clavier, an Episcopal priest who served 25 years as a
bishop in a 'continuing church'
Called to Common
Mission by the Rev. Dr. Richard L. Tolliver.
Behold, the Face
of God by the Rev. Susan Russell
The Church and
Human Sexuality by the Rev. Dr. Richard L. Tolliver.
The Advice of St. Augustine by Dr. Daniel Beck
Our Spiritual Legacy as Transgendered People by Dr. Pauline Park
A Man's Journey:
To Be Fully Alive by The Rev. Phillip Dana Wilson.
as Heavenly Parent by the Rev. Ray Mesler
Schism? On scripture
and experience as criteria by THe Rev. Dr. L. William Countryman
Tutu's Commencement Address at Brandeis University, May 2000
This Is My Commandment
by The Rev. Susan Russell
What Will Make
or Break This Church? by Jim Shumard
It is by suffering
that we learn by the Rt. Rev. Onell Soto
A pastoral letter
from the rector. The rector of St. Paul's in Philadelphia discusses
his decision to bless a lbg couple.
To Whom It May
Concern, an open letter by April Cochran in response to Jerry Falwell.
by The Rev. Jan Nunley
The Rev. Michael Povey, on Palm Sunday 2000.
This is our story,
this is our song, by Susan Robinson, Lay Professionals Liturgy
We Wish to See
Jesus by the Rev. Susan Russell
Excerpt from sermon
"The Light of Christ" by The Dr. Rev. William Guthrie
Window on Main
Street: 0003 by The Rev. Jan Nunley.
Quid bonum episcoporum?
by Dr. Daniel Beck
Reflections onSugaring and John Spong by The Rev. Eleanor McLaughlin
Report to Diocesan Convention by The Rev. John D. Lane
by The Rev. Jan Nunley.
Us All by The Rev. Mark Harris
The Ontogeny of
Christians' Current Struggles by Deborah Gavrin Frangquist.
No One Has Seen
God by Ted Mellor
Working on the
Meaning of the Sacred in Relationships by Rev. Francis X Walter
Exiles: Will America's churches ever accept homosexuality?. A multimedia
presentation by Colleen O'Conner, at the site of Grace Cathedral in San
Model for Human Community by The Rev. Grant Mauricio Gallup, missioner
in Managua, Nicaragua.
A Church for the
Third Millennium by The Rev. Katherine Merrell Glenn. A Sermon preached
at the Institution of The Rev. Nina Stasser as Rector of St. Barnabas Episcopal
Church, Glenwood Springs, Colorado,
The Gospel According
to Jesse Ventura by the Rev. Michael Povey. Disagrees with Jesse Ventura.
On Minding Your
Own Business: Religion in Daily Life
by the Rev. Dr. Edward Chinn.
Agrees with Jesse Ventura.
The Revd You-Leng
Lim writes to The Most Reverend Moses Tay
Things that anyone
considering calling a priest should be sensitive to, by the Rev. John
letter to Archbishop Moses Tay
on the Promises. By Ted Mellor.
Yet Another Violent
Tragedy Involving Guns in America. By The Rev. Jan Nunley
Virgin and Whore. By Audrey Woods.
Making the Justice Connection, a review of the Beyond Inclusion conference
by Br. David Dalton, Mercy of God Community, Pastoral Care Coordinator.
Letter from Bruce
Garner to Todd Wetzel regarding Episcopalian United's abusive fund-raising
letter, July 1999.
Are You a Fundamentalist?
by the Rt. Rev. Frank Allan, Bishop of Atlanta.
A First Point
about Evangelism, by The Rev. Grant M. Gallup.
Guess Who's Coming
to God's Dindin, by Louie Crew, an essay suppressed in the Diocese
Sermon at the
Eucharist for Human Rights, by the Rev. Geoffrey M. St.J. Hoare, All
Saints, Atlanta (preached on June 24th)
Creation in the Image of God. Sermon at Grace Cathedral on Trinity
Sunday 1999 by Rt. Rev. William Smalley, Bishop of Kansas.
By Susan Russell. Sermon preached before Christopher Street West Eucharist
at the Parade for the 100+ marchers from the Diocese of Los Angeles.
Address to the General
Synod of the Scottish Episcopal Church, by The Most Revd Richard Holloway,
Witnessing to Province
4 Synod, by Bruce Garner.
And they are breathing
out violence, by Louie Crew.
It Is God Who Gives
Us a Future, by Dr. Fredrica Harris Thompsett.
Whores and Concubines, by the Rev. Grant Mauricio Gallup.
Stool, by The Rev. Canon Elizabeth Kaeton.
Lambeth: A Modest
Proposal, by Ted Mellor
Those Who Abide in
Me, by The Rev. Michael Hopkins, President of Integrity.
The Hard Path of
Christ and the Easy Path of Being Right, by The Rev. Robert C. Morris
Littleton and the
Judgment of God, by The Rev. Dr. Kendall Harmon
Out of Focus, Love
Demands Its Own Way, by Jonathan Merrill Cole
God's Ridiculous Love,
Sermon at the conclusion of the Beyond Inclusion Conference preached at
St. Bart's in NYC by the rector, The Rev. Bill Tully.
Sermon by the Rt.
Rev. Walter Righter (Ret.), VII Bishop of Iowa, at the Episcopal Church
of the Transfiguration, Dallas, Texas
by the Rev. Jan Nunley, Providence, R. I.
Responses by The Reverend
John T Arms IV RevJohn4@aol.com to the invitation by the Board of Trustees
of The Virginia Theological Seminary to comment on the Seminary Policy
on sexual behavior
Lazarus, come out!
The Rev. Nancy A. Vogele
The profligate love
of God.. Revd. J. Michael Povey
Palm Sunday in Arizona,
Rt. Rev. Robert Shahan, Bishop of Arizona.
An essay by Gene Breshears.
Pamela Chinnis' Lent 1999 Letter to the House of Deputies
Wish Upon A Star:
Illuminating Diversity Conference. A talk by The
Rev. Canon Elizabeth Kaeton at a conference sponsored by Lucent Technologies.
Images of Honduras.
Bruce Garner, past-president of Integrity, reports on his trip to Honduras
as a member of the National Commission on HIV/AIDS of the Episcopal Church.
Blessing of the Holy Union of William C. Cruse and John R. Deuel
Synods of Thieves?
Lambeth and the Latrocinium by Dr. Daniel Beck.
An Open Letter to
the Diocese of New Jersey from Lutibelle/Louie
View from Houston.
Bishop Richard Shimpfky (El Camino Real) reports on the March 1999 House
of Bishops Meeting.
Opposition to Accepting
the Moral Authority of the Lambeth Conference, by Charles W. Smith
in an address to the 209th Annual Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of
South Carolina. [Christian courage is marvelously refreshing to witness!
Insurance. A Sermon Preached by the Rev. Ed Bacon at the end of the
1998 Lambeth Conference.
Pilgrimage to Sylacauga.
A Liturgy of Reconciliation
for the Episcopal Church by Waltraut J Stein.
Statement on Murder
of Billy Jack Gaither, The Rt. Rev. Henry Parsley, Bishop of Alabama
The Mickey Mouse
Statement. Dr. Daniel Beck responds to conservatives' demands for a
separate province to separate themselves from the Episcopal Church.
The Joshua Syndrome,
by the Rt. Rev. Cathy Roskam upon the installation of Very Rev. Ward Ewing
as the new dean at General Seminary, February, 1999.
The Fast & Easy
Redemption Center. By the Rev. J. Michael Povey.
Absalom Jones and
Racism By the Rev'd Phillip Dana Wilson.
outs Bishops, as reported by Correspondent The Rev. Jan Nunley.
An Inclusive Version
of the Daily Office. The Book of Common Prayer, 1979 -- modified by
Frank Huber in January 1999
A Celebration of
Relationships in honor of St. Valentine
, by by the Rev'd Cn. Elizabeth
Kaeton. February 1999.
Keep It Simple,
A sermon by J. Michael Povey
Two Grooms Continued.
An eye-witness account by the Rev'd Canon Elizabeth Kaeton of the service
when Ernest and Louie-Clay Crew renewed their vows (2/2/99) on their 25th
Letter to the Episcopal
Church in Arizona by Robert Reed Shahan, Bishop of Arizona. Epiphany
sees role for gays in Episcopal Church. Yonat Shimron reports the Presiding
Bishop's remarks at the January 1999 convention of the Diocese of North
Carolina, in the News-Observer.
Canons to Hold Bishops,
Standing Committees, Diocesan Councils.....Accountable. By Rt. Rev.
Douglas Theuner, Bishop of New Hampshire. This initiated:
Waltraut J Stein,
Redeemer in Morristown,
NJ Supports Mayor DeLaney in giving Domestic Benefits to unmarriied and
those not allowed to marry
. A sermon by the Rev. Phillip Dana Wilson.
On Schism, by
The Rev. Richard L. B. Sutter. Posted here on January 15, 1999.
The Scandal of It
All, by the Rev. James Creasy. A Saint Aelred's Day Sermon delivered
at St. Andrew's in Birmingham Alabama, January 12, 1999.
Safely in Exile,
by the Rev. Bonnie Ring. January 3, 1999 sermon at Trinity in San Francisco
An Appeal to All
Christians, by Waltraut J Stein. Posted 12/23/98, updated on 12/25/98
The lifting up and
carrying about of Scriptures
, by Timothy E Kruse TKRUSE56@prodigy.net
- The Kingdom of Heaven. By The Rev. Alma Beck
- A List of the Most Common Names for Episcopal Churches, Compiled by Fr. Chris Yaw
- Changed and Transformed by the Blessings of Life, by the Rev.
- Emmanuel: A Christmas Reflection, by The Rev. Paul Woodrum.
- Unity Amidst Disunity, by The Rev. Dennis J. Parker
- The Diaconate, by The Rev. J. Carr Holland
- I am the vine, you are the branches: A sermon for
Sakia by The Rev. Elizabeth M. Kaeton
- Road Crossing Moratorium Advised by Paul
Woodrum and Foghorn Leghorn, Esq.
- Sermon For My Colleagues On The Occasion Of The
Reaffirmation Of Our Ordination Vows by The Rev. Pam Bakal
- Palm Sunday: It Is Not a Pretty Picture by The
Rev. Phillip Dana Wilson
- The Church of Tomorrow: A Traditionalist's Perspective. By the Rev. Susan Russell
- The Dazzling Dark--Reflections on the Columbia
Disaster and the Feast of the Purification of Mary. By the Rev. Dr.
- Kingdom Revisited. By The Reverend Paul R.
- How to Avoid the Charge of Homophobia. By Roy
- I am the vine, you are the branches.
Convocation address for the Diocese of Rio Grande by Rt. Rev. Alden
Hathaway, retired Bishop of Pittsburgh
- Albert Stephen Dula, R. I. P.. Requiem sermon
by The Rev. Alan French.
- Is This Evangelism? by The Rev. Elizabeth
- Is There Anything to Celebrate about Matthew Shepard's Brutal and Agonizing Death? by Fr. Tony Clavier
- Mermaids in the Vineyard by the Rev. Susan
- To err is human, to forgive is out of the
question by The Rev. Dr. John Lane Denson
- Contra Weinbergium: Steven Weinberg, ++Rowan
Williams, and Ernest Gellner on fundamentalism and liberalism by T.
- Get Facts
Straight Before Calling a Nation Christian by The Rev. Daniel J.
Webster, Communications Officer for the Diocese of Utah.
- Phillips Brooks and Helen Keller by The Rev.
- The Octararo Anti-War Manifesto -- a poem by
The Rev. Dr. Mark Harris
- Hard Hearts, Minds On Faith's Front Line By Daniel J. Webster
- Contrasting gay responses to remarks about the Lambeth Conference as
attributed to +Rowan Williams, the new 104th Archbishop of Canterbury
- Can I Join You?, The Rev. Michael Hopkins
- Neither Death, Nor Life, Nor Angels.... by The Rev. Susan Russell
- Not Peace, but a Sword, by Patrick A. Hunt.
- What Are Homosexuals Good For? or Gaiety as a
Family Value by Dr. James Carson.
- The Three Billy Goats Gruff by Rt. Rev. Stacy Sauls
- It Is No Accident We Are Here! By The Rev.
Phillip Dana Wilson, a sermon at the installation of The Rev. Elizabeth
Kaeton as rector of St. Paul's, Chatham, NJ
- Butting Heads. By The Rev. John R. Clarke
- The Mission to Love God and
to Bring the Love of God to All People. By The Very Reverend Donald W. Krickbaum
- Building Trust Among Christians, Jews and Muslims.
By The Very Reverend Donald W. Krickbaum
- Bogart by the Rev. Elizabeth Kaeton
- The Spiritual Gift of Hospitality by the Rev.
J. Michael Povey.
- "Bowling Alone"
A Review & Reflection
William A. Potter
- An Anglican Ethos. By The Rev. Tony Clavier
- On the Feast of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Martyr. By
Deacon Tim Ervolina
- Things Done and Left Undone. By The Rev. Steve
- White Swans and Black. By Nathaniel Brown
- Shut Doors and Open Wounds. By Professor
- Spiritual Leadership During a Time of Controversy. By the Rev. Dr. Richard L. Tolliver.
- Sermon for Earth Day. By The Rev. Franklin E.
know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. By the Rev.
- What I Believe. By The Rev. Ernest Cockrell
- The Sacrament of Servanthood. By The Rev.
- Response to Charges of Apostacy. By The Rev.
- True Love's True Form: The Gospel According to
Shrek. By Dylan Breuer
- Crazy Religion - the Anglican Way by the Rev.
- Companionship in Mission by The Rev. Dr.
Richard L. Tolliver
- And he was transfigured before them... by The Rev. Mary Goshert
- Is Satan the exclusive domain of HBO and the FOX
network? by The Revd. Dr. Andrew McGowan
- What Does a White Person Have To Say About Racism? By The Rev. Phillip Dana Wilson
- A Little Church Around the Corner. Rambling Reflections on Religious Pluralism by T. Peter Park
- "The Santa Candle" Sermon. By The Rev. Susan Russell.
- The Bethlehem Disconnect. By the Rev. Dr. Richard
- Shekinah - The God of Glory. By the Rev. Canon
Elizabeth M. Kaeton
- Give Me Jesus.
By The Rev. Dr. Richard Tolliver.
- The End of the World.
By The Rev. Dr. Richard Tolliver.
- Called Upon to Explain Religious Convictions and Beliefs. By Ron Chaplin.
- CREDO 2001 (Draft #2). By Anthony Galvin.
- ALL are WELCOME here, especially:. By Anthony
- We Have Taliban Too. By The Rev. Tony
- Bishop Ben Benitez and Terry Waite Discuss the War
in Afghanistan Last addition to this discussion was on 11/12/2001
- Does the
Bible Actually Say Anything About Homosexuality? By the Rev Canon
- Being in Control in an Out-of-Control Situation.
By the Rev. Anthony Guillén
- Three Weeks After the Day the World Changed.
By Kathryn George
- Christ's Message Knows No Borders or Limits. By
The Rev. Pablo Ramos
- This is the story of my resurrection. By
- Breathe on me, breath of God. By The Rev. Dr.
Franklin E. Vilas
- Friendly Advice to my Successor:
On Being a Bishop Suffragan. By Rt. Rev.
Onell A. Soto, Assistant Bishop of Alabama
- But can God help? He didn't stop this happening.
By The Rev. Canon Robert Gage
- Something New and Unheard Of. By Nathaniel
- Whistling in the Dark: Praying for Your Enemies.
By The Rev. Canon Elizabeth M. Kaeton.
- How Can Anyone Reject a Child?. By Michael E.
- Be Alert! By Richard Thieme.
- Adagio: Ground Zero. By The Rev. Dorsey McConnell
- Wrestling a Blessing from Tragedy. By The Rev.
Phillip Dana Wilson.
- Ceramic Episcopalian. By Kristin Fontaine
- And the master commended the dishonest manager.
By The Rev. Jack Zamboni
- "Fear: It is Real! by The Rev. Dr. Richard
- Conversations about 'where was ECUSA' September 11
etc. By The Rev. Steve Giovangelo
- Stella's Song: A Celebration of Women in the Midst
of the War on Terrorism. By The Rev'd Canon Elizabeth Kaeton.
- Grappling with Tuesday's Terrorist Attacks. By The Very Rev'd Thomas C.H. Scott
- On the Mystery of Evil. By The Rev. Dr. Richard Tolliver
- Bomb Them with Butter; Bribe Them with Hope by Anonymous
- Embracing Alternatives to Our Fear and Anger by Very Rev. Robert Taylor
Prayer for The Missing Stranger
Ever-living God, the Origin and Sustainer of all life, the Refuge of the
distressed, out of the depths of our sorrow we turn to you.
To your care, All-Knowing God, we commend the fates of those we know and
those we do not. Give us confidence that though they are missing, their
whereabouts are no mystery to you. Though many of the lost are strangers to
us, we know they are known to you. Warm them with your loving embrace. Hold
all those who are lost and all who grieve.
Give us assurance that your presence is constant as we swing among doubt,
fear and despair. Renew us when our hope falters. We cling to our faith that
your countenance shines on us all and will illumine our darkest moments.
Give us strength to learn the worst. Teach us practices of forgiveness.
Give us courage to hope for all that your Son has promised. Amen.
K. Amato-von Hemert, Ph.D.
- Let's focus on 24/7, not 20/20. By Julie A. Wortman
- tears... a reflection; plus my latest South Africa trip to the World Conference Against Racism. By Ethan Flad
- Homily for
Newark's Eucharist for Peace and Remembrance. By Rt. Rev. John P.
- Things Seen and Unseen: A Question of Faith. By
the Rev. Canon Elizaeth M. Kaeton.
- A Meeting at the Mosque. By the Rev. James Lee
- Grief, Terror, Rage and Love: The Aftermath of
September 11th By S. Dylan Breuer
- Blessed are the Poor in Spirit, for Theirs is the
Kingdom of Heaven. A response to the destruction of the World Trade
Center by The Very Reverend Samuel G. Candler
- If Someone Slaps You: Racism from One African
Person's Point of View. By Sybille Ngo Nyeck
- Christianity is a Green Religion. By The Rt.
Rev. Alden Hathaway, Bishop of Pittsburgh, Retired
- Choose Life! By The Very Rev'd Thomas C.H.
Scott, D. Min.
- Not just the ones that look like us, act like us or form relationships like us. By The Rev. Susan Russell
- Preaching on Sodom and Gomorrah by The Rev. Mary L.
By Yesterday's Truths by The Rev. Richard Rehm
- The Sin of Sodom by The Very Rev'd
Thomas C.H. Scott, D. Min.
- Ampersand by The Rev. Dr. John Lane Denson
- Thinking in a Cosmic Way, Reflections by
Sybille Ngo Nyeck
- Telling the Truth about Gay Pride by Gordon Johnson.
- Shelter by the Rev. Stephen B. Snider
- Mobilization and Transnational Advocacy Networking
in the Episcopal Church and Anglican Communion by Ann McClenahan
- Preaching Peace by Rt. Rev. Michael Hare Duke,
- The Opposite of Love by The Rev. Canon Elizabeth M. Kaeton
- What Keeps Us Together by Patrick Hunt
- When the Vagrants become Vigilantes: The Anglican
Mission in America and Lawlesness by The Rev. Dr. Mark Harris.
- Celebration of the Life of the Rev. Pauli Murray
by The Rev. Jennifer Baskerville
- Homosexuals in the Church by Nathaniel Brown
- REGARDED AS ONE: Why the movement from maintenance to
mission is not enough by the Rev. Dr. Mark Harris
- Equipping the Saints by The Rev. Susan Russell
- Gay People Have a Right to Come in out of the Rain
by The Rev. Tony Clavier
- The Prodigal Son from the Older
Brother's Point of View by the Rev. J. Michael Povey
- The Resurrection of Life on the Earth by The
Rev. Dr. Robert Kinloch Massie
- A Letter to jj by Nathaniel Brown
- The Bonds of Peace: A Plea from the President
of Integrity Prior to the Primates Meeting of March 2001
- Is You Da One? A Sermon for the Season of
Reconciliation, by the Rev'd Canon Elizabeth Kaeton
- To Avoid the Certainties of an Innocent III by
Rt. Rev. Michael Hare Duke, Retired Bishop of St. Andrew's, Scotland
- Chocolate as Epiphany by The Rev. Dr. Helen R.
- A Sermon on Sexuality by The Reverend Thomas
- In Gratitude to the Holy Spirit by Debbie
- Comment on To Mend the Net by Dr. Ken Clark
- 'The Centre Cannot Hold'? by Lee Tuck-Leong
- The Rev. Canon Gene
Robinson's Sermon at the Millennium March on Washington
- Privatized Spirituality as a Retreat from Gospel
Imperatives by Rt. Rev. Robert Ihloff, Bishop of Maryland
- Memo of Ephraim Radner and John Peterson to the
Bishop of Colorado
- Power in the Church: Prelates, Confessions,
Anglicans, the Arnold Lecture, by Most Rev. Michael Peers, Archbishop
of the Anglican Church of Canada
- The Gospel is always bad news before it is good
news by The Rev. Dr. John Lane Denson.
- One Day's Prayers by the Rev. Steven Snider,
neighboring rector to Good Shepherd Rosemont
- The American Anglican Council Launches Fund Appeal With $200K Matching Funds from Anti-Gay Zealot by Jack H. Taylor, Jr.
- God Is Asking Us Today to be in the World by
Most Rev. Patrice Byanka Njojo, Archbishop of Congo
- A FOURTH WAY: On the Anglican Communion as an Ecumenical
Fellowship by The Rev. Mark Harris, D. Min
- Sex and the BCP 1928 by James Edward Mackay
- The Rector's Ruminations by The Rev. Dr. Harold
Lewis, Calvary Church, Pittsburgh
- What God Has Joined Together by The Rev. Dr. Diana Lee Beach
- What therefore God has joined together, let no one
put asunder. By the Rev. Canon Elizabeth Kaeton.
Homily Grits. A series of revolutionary sermons by the
Rev. Grant M. Gallup, Managua, Nicaragua.
Council Faltering in Revenue, Membership by Jack H. Taylor, Jr.
Three sermons by The Very Rev. Peter Courtney, Dean, St. Andrew's Cathedral,
Honolulu (added on 11/19/98)
For God So Loved
the World!, a link to an address by Michael Ingham, Bishop of New Westminster,
27 September, 1998, St. Leonard's Church, Toronto, Canada
A Bishop in Hell,
a sermon by The Rev. Jan Nunley. 11/10/98
Bishop Frade's Journal:
Reflections from a broken world. By the Bishop of Honduras. Ongoing:
11/8/98, 11/9/98, 11/10/98
For God's Sake, Do
Something! by the Rev. Dr. Bonnie Ring. 11/1/98
"Are you a Christian?"
by The Rev. Phil Dana Wilson. 10/29/98
The Gay Challenge
and Charismatic Episcopalians, by The Rev. Gray Temple, Jr. 10/26/98
Stepping Through the Door: An Agenda for Anglicans, by Mark Harris.
10/24/98. Mark is Rector of St. James' Episcopal Church, Millcreek Hundred,
Wilmington, Delaware. Formerly Coordinator for Ministry in Higher Education,
Coordinator of Overseas Personnel and Partnership Officer for Asia, the
Pacific and the Middle East at the Episcopal Church Center. He is author
of The Challenge of Change, the Anglican Communion in the Post Modern
Era, published by Church Publishing Incorporated.
All will be thrown
I welcome submissions of materials for me to consider placing at this
site.A Liturgy of Reconciliation for the Episcopal Church Send all submissions
electronically, preferably in *.HTML or *.RTF formats (available under
the SAVE AS options on many word-processors). Otherwise send only as plain
text. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org