Re: [LS] A Place to Fit

> > i find that the episcopal church on the whole is geared for those who
> > work a standard 8a-5p job or are retired.

Many parishes are saddled with primary real estate responsibilities
that drain energies from the tasks of building a servant community.

In the 11 years we lived in Newark's north ward, we observed a Korean
Christian group which rented a home across the street.  They used the
large, run-down old house for worship for several years; then they
rented a larger home down the street to accommodate their growing
congregation.  Eventually they bought a 'proper' church vacated by one
of the declining mainline denominations.  The Korean Christians were
not absorbed by the tasks of maintaining property, but rather by the
tasks of building Christian community.

If I could influence theses and other projects of seminarians, I would
encourage them to study all that went on in 'congregational
development' before the first dirt was moved or foundation laid in the
period from 1870-1900, when the vast majority of Episcopal Churches
were built.  My own parish was built a bit earlier, 1848, as a
glorious structure designed by Upjohn.  But they met in a store front
for 12 years before they built.

What would be an equivalent of store front churches that might
actually work for Episcopalians?

If Gideon were an Episcopalian in 2004, how would he organize the
mission?

Now that we gays and lesbians exercise far more leadership than we
have in the past, what others at the margins need our help?