Re: Episcopal Stealth in Ohio

> I read your latest:
>
> > > I am pretty sure that Bp Duncan and cohorts would not appreciate
> > > a visit by Bp. Spong et al in a similar sneak attack.
>
> > Nor would Bishop Spong stoop so low. He persuades people worldwide
> > in open forums by his appeals to their minds.  Keep watch on his
> > current calendar for a possible visit near you:
> >
> > http://www.andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/spongcalendar.html
>
> So I am forced to ask you:  Was man made for the canon or was it the
> other way around?

The canons do not make Episcopalians, but Episcopalians make the
canons.  We also revise them often, following due process.

Before being ordained, every priest must vow to obey the constitution
and canons of the church.  Those that choose to break that vow do so
presumably willing, like Thoreau, to pay the penalty of their own
conscientious objection rather than force others to pay the penalty
for them.

Most of us do not stop at every red light, and not every policeman
feels compelled to arrest someone spotted stopping, looking
carefully, and proceeding on an empty street in the middle of the
night.   Some are too busy to make an issue of such an 'offense' even
when done in broad day light.

I wish that the episcopal visitors in Akron had given Bishop Grew the
opportunity to invite them to perform the confirmations.  Bishop
Bennison freely gave such permission to such visitors to David Moyer's
parish in Rosemont a few years ago (I attended the service; see my
report at http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/congo_gospel.html and
Elizabeth Kaeton's at
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/kaeton_rosemont.html).

If I were Bishop of Ohio (I rejoice that I am not), I would send all
the visiting bishops a gracious letter of welcome and permission,
back-dated before the offense, just as Jesus backdated the offenses of
absolutely everybody at Calvary long before we think we need to ask.