Re: Bishop Swing's letter to the clergy for March 2004

Gentle Bishop Bernard,

Thank you for your letter.  Bishop Swing can best speak for himself,
and I am forwarding your query to him, at ...

You can find most of the break-away "Anglicans" worldwide listed at
http://www.anglicansonline.org/communion/nic.html, with a brief
statement about each.  The list is long enough to make one dizzy.

Speaking just for myself:

I rejoice in the continuing contributions to my discernment from the
Anglican Communion.  I have spent hundreds of hours reading points of
view from all over the Communion.  I have listened closely while
privileged to travel to Africa four times during the last six years,
as well as to Brazil, Korea, Japan, and Europe.  The General
Convention paid the way for almost 50 international observers, most of
them who did not agree with us, to come to Minneapolis last summer and
spend 10 days sharing with us their views.  One of the most articulate
spokespersons for the 'Anglican opposition,' Archbishop Fearon from
Nigeria, preached at the main Eucharist on the day that we consented
to the consecration of Bishop Robinson.....

I can think of no other part of the Communion that would open itself
so fully and provide forums to its opponents.

I was not persuaded.  Most of what I heard spoke with much authority
of the speakers' experience, but with little authority or knowledge of
Christ's redemptive work in the lives of lesbian and gay Anglicans.

We in the Episcopal Church do not have a vote in the Diocese of
Berundi, nor you in our General Convention.  I am grateful that we
have each other to continue this discussion.

Joy to you!
Louie
Louie Crew, Nwk 03, 00, 97, 94. Member of Executive Council 00-06
377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018-1222. 973-395-1068
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html  Anglican Pages