re: The Boston Globe: Episcopal diocese sets same-sex wedding ban

Re: <i>Globe</i> account at http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/05/13/episcopal_diocese_sets_same_sex_wedding_ban/

I find it preposterous that again normally clear-thinking, kind,
generous, and liberal folk are talking as if weddings and marriages
are something the church does.  According to the best theology going,
the couple marry themselves.  All the church does (or refuses to do)
is to solemnize that relationship.  And if the couple is deemed by
church or state not to have married, the marriage may be declared "null
and void."

Why not say just that, 25 times at the blackboard if you like:

We like you but we will not solemnize your marriage.
We like you but we will not solemnize your marriage.
We like you but we will not solemnize your marriage.
We like you but we will not solemnize your marriage.
We like you but we will not solemnize your marriage.....

We will bless you, your dog, your cat, and your canary....
We will bless you, your dog, your cat, and your canary....
We will bless you, your dog, your cat, and your canary....
We will bless you, your dog, your cat, and your canary....
We will bless you, your dog, your cat, and your canary....

and perhaps in small script, reveal why.....

We hope Archbishop Akinola is listening....
We hope Archbishop Akinola is listening....
We hope Archbishop Akinola is listening....
We hope Archbishop Akinola is listening....
We hope Archbishop Akinola is listening....
We hope the Archbishop of Canterbury is listening....
We hope the Archbishop of Canterbury is listening....
We hope the Archbishop of Canterbury is listening....
We hope the Archbishop of Canterbury is listening....
We hope the Archbishop of Canterbury is listening....

Of course there is more to it, something much bigger,

  We will not serve as agents of the state to enable for you the
  benefits reserved for the married, even though Massachusetts now
  allows you to have those benefits.  But of course, we love you
  and would welcome your talents, tithes and offerings.  Please
  don't think us evil or unkind that we are willing to sacrifice
  justice for you so that we can get the rest of the Communion
  off our back.

On Monday and Tuesday I was in the jury pool at Essex County Court
House.  The judge stressed at the outset of the voir-dire for a
criminal case that the questions he would ask were not meant to be
intrusive but had real consequences as the court, the prosecutor, and
the defense sought to find a jury that all agreed could be impartial
and fair to the state and to the defendant.

"Mr. Crew, Question No. 3.  Have you or any family members ever been
the victim of a crime?" he asked.

"My life partner was held at gun point in armed robbery in 1984," I
replied.  I would have indicated our relationship more clearly if I
had said, "My husband was ....." but I hoped the defendant would
remain the center of attention, not me.

The judge was au courrant. Later in the sequence, he said with arched
eyebrow and a kind smile, "Since you have mentioned your 'life
partner,' I suppose that for no. 7, the answer is that you are not
married?"

"Your honor, we are married. Illegally."  He smiled even more
generously.

"And regarding no. 8, I suppose you have no children?" he said with a
broad grin.

"Your honor, we've been trying hard for over 30 years but have not yet
figured out how to do that."

The court room broke out in gentle laughter, and the judge rose to the
occasion, "That will indeed be an important discovery, and I hope you
will let me know how you did it if it happens!"

Perhaps ticklebox repair will help us get through such situations,
though I was no more threatening to hetero idolatry than
Step-n-Fetchit was to White Supremacy.

The judge empaneled me as juror #5, but later the defense attorney
excused me, after he had excused numerous others.

Humor should not mask or diminish the injustice.  A slight change in
plumbing would assure that when one of us dies, the other would
continue the social security benefits of the deceased.  Over 1,000
other privileges of law are reserved for heterosexuals.

Clergy do not have to serve as agents for the state in heterosexual
marriages either.  Clergy in most of Europe are not even allowed to.
Now that Massachusetts will allow gay marriages, clergy who continue
to provide such service to heterosexuals only should do so with full
awareness of the injustice which they willfully perpetuate.

We are facing a crisis of stinginess.  It is not of the first
magnitude, but my friends have disappointed me.

Lutibelle/Louie

Louie Crew, Lay Nwk.  Member of Executive Council

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, E. Orange, NJ 07018 973-395-1068
http://www.gracechurchinnewark.org Grace Church:  Home of "America the Beautiful"

                                P.S.

See The Rev. Professor Carter Heyward's letter to the Bishop of
Massachusetts at http://rci.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/dojustice/j182.html