Re: Impaired Communion

FYI.  L., Member of Executive Council of the Episccopal Church USA

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 03:58:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Terry Brown <terrymalaita@yahoo.com>
To: Louie Crew <lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Cc: Patrick Mauney <pmauney@episcopalchurch.org>
Subject: Re: Impaired Communion

Dear Louie,

Thank you for sharing this.  I know as a matter of fact (I saw the
letter) that the covering letter for the communique from eight "global
south Anglican primates" meeting held in Singapore a month and a half
or so (in Singapore), sent out to other global south Anglican primates
for endorsement, went something like this:  "Here is our communique,
if we do not hear from you otherwise by such-and-such a date, we will
deem you to agree with the communique."  It was this communique that
was then issued sometime later with "the approval of 22 global south
Anglican primates".  This approach to the other global south primates
seems to me very shoddy for several reasons: (1) some of them may not
even get the fax because of bad communication, travel, etc., yet end
up on the list, (2) the invitation is to declare themselves out of
communion with these eight primates which most south primates would
not do and (3) there is almost an invitation to declare yourself a
heretic.  Yet if you don't answer, you are deemed to agree with the
communique.  In the case of Melanesia, I do not know how our
Archbishop answered or if he did, but we are not out of communion with
ECUSA.  I agree with Pat, let's see the signatures of the 22 primates
who supposedly signed or agreed with the most recent communique.

Bishop Terry Brown
Bishop of Malaita
Church of the Province of Melanesia

(Louie:  You may circulate this note.)