[HoB/D] Re: An Open Letter to Archbishop Henry Luke Orombi and

Regarding my recent post urging the Primate of Uganda not to politicize
our gifts to the needy, David Virtue has written that Archbishop "Orombi
says Louie is not telling the truth," implying that the Church in Uganda
has not sought, received, or kept funds since saying that it would not.

I have received the following clairification from sources at the Church
Center.  My orginal message is archived at
http://www.andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/natter/msg00077.html

[I am also appending below details uncovered by <i>The Living Church</i>.
-- LC]

These projects are far more important than the need for the Archbishop to
spite the Episcopal Church.  These gifts come with no strings attached,
and I hope that the Archbishop will let the project organizers keep them.

I raise this issue to promote  transparency.  It is not fair to claim you
are turning down support when you are actually seeking it on the sly.

Nor am I proud of the amount of these gifts.  As a rich church, we need to
be far more generous.

Our sister and brother disciples in Uganda can help us promote generosity
more readily by mutual kindness and affection rather than by shunning and
recrimination.   As my grandmother used to say, "You can catch more flies
with honey than with vinegar."

Faithfully,
L.
Louie Crew.
Member of Executive Council, Newark Deputy
377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018-1222. 973-395-1068
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html  Anglican Pages

-----Clarification received from sources at the Church Center-----

The United Thank Offering [UTO] grant cycle begins in October with the
distribution of grant applications, instructions, and letter of
invitation.  Each ECUSA Diocese is invited to submit up to two grants, and
most overseas Anglican Provinces are invited to submit two grants, which
must be endorsed by either the archbishop or the provincial secretary.
Grant applications are due in our office January 31.  More information is
gathered and the Committee meets to decide on the grants, usually in
April.  Grant award letters are sent in May.  Once they receive the grant
award letter, applicants must still submit a letter requesting release of
funds, firm bids for the work to be done, and banking information.  Grant
award letters are copied to the archbishop and the provincial secretary.

Two dioceses from Uganda submitted grants in 2004.

The Diocese of Luweero asked for $52,530 to build housing for females
attending a university in the diocese.  The grant was signed by Bishop
Evans Mukasa Kisekka, and was also endorsed by the Rev. Canon Stanley
Ntagali, Provincial Secretary.  The Committee approved a partial award of
$30,000. June 3 we received an email from the diocese with the required
documentation.  Funds were released to the diocese by wire transfer on
June 14, 2004.

The Diocese of West Buganda asked for $36,204 to build a girls' secondary
school for orphans.  Originally the grant request signed by the Rt. Rev.
Samuel Cephas Kamya, Bishop of West Buganda, but was not signed by the
provincial secretary.  Upon request we received a letter from the Rev.
Canon Stanley Ntagali, Provincial Secretary, giving the required
endorsement.  The Committee approved a partial grant of $20,000.  On June
24, the diocese sent a letter of thanks, and Steven Bailey, UTO Assistant,
replied with a reminder of the requirements for release of funds.  On June
29, the diocese submitted a letter authorizing release and banking
information, but no contractor's bid.  On August 20, Steven Bailey
reminded them by email of the need for documentation for capital
expenditures.  They have now submitted this documentation and we are in
the process of releasing the funds by wire transfer to the diocese.

No Uganda UTO grant funds have been returned.

-----Additional details discovered by <i>The Living Church</i>-----

> From  <i> The Living Church</i> 229.12 (September 19, 2004): 7

Acceptance of UTO Funds Questioned

A $30,000 United Thank Offering (UTO) check for a girls' orphanage was sent

to the Diocese of Luwero roughly the same time that the Archbishop of
Uganda was sending a dismissive response to the Presiding Bishop Frank T.
Griswold, informing him that the Bishop of Luwero "has my full blessing
and support" in receiving the members and all the clergy from three
parishes that voted to disaffiliate from the Episcopal Church.  The
Anglican Province of Uganda previously had announced that it will accept
no more financial aid from the Episcopal Church.

"Is the Church of Uganda rejecting all funds from the Episcopal Church, or
just selected ones?" wrote Louie Crew, a member of the Executive Council
of the national Church in an August 25th open letter to the Archbishop
Henry Luke Orombi and the other members of the Ugandan House of Bishops.
In addition to the UTO grant, the letter cited gifts to Uganda by
Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD) as well as the proportionally much
larger percentage of the Anglican Communion Office budget contributed by
the Episcopal Church relative to the Province of Uganda.  [See the letter
at http://www.andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/natter/msg00077.html -- LC]

In an interview with The Living Church, Mr. Crew noted he spoke only on
behalf of himself and said he was motivated to write in the interest of
clarity and transparency.  "I hope they will keep the gift and allow us to
send more, but I'm not underwriting anyone's hypocrisy," he explained.

In addition to the $30,000 UTO grant, the Church of Uganda also recently
received a $200,000 check from Episcopal Relief and Development, according
to Don Hammond, ERD vice president, who explained the organization no
longer makes grants, but instead seeks long-term relationships which help
it accomplish its mission goals of disaster relief, food security and
primary health care.  The ERD check was the third installment of a
four-year agreement reached before General Convention met last summer, he
noted.  ERD

has worked very hard to remain in relationship with those provinces that
have declared they will no longer accept money from the Episcopal Church,
he said.

"We don't think it is in the best interest of our mission for us to be
engaged in political and theological issues with which the Church is
grappling," said the Rt. Rev. Harry B. Bainbridge, III, Bishop of Idaho
and chair of the ERD board of directors.  In a telephone conversation with
the Living Church on August 30, Bishop Bainbridge said he would not
comment on the substance of the letter because of "the reason previously
stated."

<HR cellspacing=0>