Re: W. Louisiana

[see also http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/elections]

From: **** **** [a white clergy male in the Diocese of Louisiana]
On Feb 6 11:47am

> Dear Louie,
>
> I found on your web page the announcement of the candidates for bishop
> of Western Louisiana.  I was troubled a bit by your editorial comment.

I made no editorial comment except to state a fact in the subject line:
"10 white males nominated in Western Louisiana."  For content I listed the
nominees and pointed to the committee's details about them.

The nominations do deserve comment.  Hence, my detailed response to you
now.

> Yes, these candidates are all white and all male, but then again, I
> cannot be sure of any of their heritage regarding race.  Who knows other
> than each of them.
>
> You should know that this was the most open nominating process in the
> Episcopal Church.  It was easy to nominate and everyone nominated -- as
> long as they passed the background check -- made the final list of
> candidates.  What I'm saying is -- if nominated, the candidate made the
> list.
>
> If there is concern about no women or people of other racial groups,
> then where was that concern when the nomination process was open?

Search committees have an obligation to search and search and search.

A committee must live with the picture they paint, whatever process they
use.

I find the results in Western Louisiana as unfair to the fine people they
have chosen as to those whom they did not choose.  I am always embarrassed
to confront blatant evidence that doors opened for me because of my skin
color when I wanted to believe they opened only because of my merit.  I
have confronted that evidence daily for 28 years living with a talented
black spouse.  It's high time the Diocese of Western Louisiana confront
the evidence as well.  Only then can we begin in earnest the hard work to
change.

These sexist and racist patterns did not just happen:  they are a part of
systems which in General Convention we have repeatedly committed ourselves
to dismantle.

In my 1998 report on deployment of black clergy, I found that Western
Louisiana deployed only 1 (1.1% of their clergy):  your own diocese,
Louisiana, deployed only 3 (2.6% of your clergy).  See
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/blkpr.html

I can find no African American deputy in any of your deputations to the
General Conventions which I have monitored, from 1994 onward.
[Correction:  1 from Diocese of Louisiana in 2000.]

Blacks are 30.8% of the population of the state of Louisiana but only 2.2%
of ECUSA's clergy in the state.  Of all 50 states, only Mississippi has a
larger discrepancy.

Hello?

In my report on the deployment of female clergy in the same year, I found
that Western Louisiana deployed only 3 (3% of their clergy), as did your
diocese, Louisiana:  see
http://www.andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/womenpr.html

Since 1994 only 7 (20%) of the 35 deputies elected by the two diocese of
Louisiana have been female, and only 1 (2.8%) is a female clergy person.
Louisiana was the last state to elect women to its legislature, and
continues to have the lowest percent of females in the legislature. (See
http://www.rri.wvu.edu/pdffiles/aldermanpaper.pdf)  Did you ever ratify
the Nineteenth Amendment?  If the vote were taken today, would it pass?

> If there is concern about no women or people of other racial groups,
> then where was that concern when the nomination process was open?

My website lists all clergy of color and lists women who are priests in
major positions.  I can lead you to the water, but no one can make you
drink.

Your "see no evil" perpetuates the problem.  My diocese, your diocese, and
all others can do much better than we are doing.

Lutibelle/Louie
L2 Newark