Re: [HoB/D] News Conference Prepared Remarks of Bishop Robert Duncan

XXXX, when GC amended Title IV, Canon 10 (1994?) to drop the requirement
of a trial, did anyone anticipate the situation in Rosemont?  It is my
understanding that the requirement for a trial was dropped for two
reasons:

1) Often someone who has abandoned the Communion of this Church is no
longer even able to be found.  The change allowed the Church to take
action without having to find the person.

2) Usually those who have abandoned the faith, even when located, do not
challenge the charge.  It therefore seemed mean spirited to subject them
to a trial.

I doubt that those who wrote the canon intended it to be used to deny
someone the right to a trial who says she or he has not 'openly renounced
the doctrine, discipline or worship of this Church.'  How 'openly' is
'openly'?  That is a very thin thread on which to depose a priest.

Father Moyer has not "openly renounced the doctrine, discipline or worship
of this Church." Quite the contrary, he openly denies the charges. The
Bishop of Pennsylvania and the Standing Committee of Pennsylvania have a
clear right to their interpretation, but I think they were unwise and
unfair to contradict Father Moyer without doing so under a separate canon
which would have given him the right to a trial -- a trial in which they
and he would have the obligation of making a strong case.

We will be in a terrible mess if others follow this example, giving each
bishop and Standing Committee the right to say that a person does not mean
what the person says and to be done with the person without a trial where
counsel is present and other processes are duly followed.

I disagree with Father Moyer on many particulars, but not this one.

I disagree with Bishop Duncan on many particulars, but not this one.

I was present at the Mass in Pittsburgh yesterday, to be as loving and
non-anxious as I could be.  I sat with my friends in the Women's Caucus.
I received Christ's body from Father David Moyer.  I rejoice in his
courage as I rejoice in the courage of my friend Bishop Bennison and my
friends on the Standing Committee of the Diocese of Pennsylvania.

There is a way out of this, a way at once hard and easy.  I bid my friends
on all sides to desist in trying to decide who is worthy to be at the
Table.  I urge Father Moyer to leave to God his quesions as to whether
Bishop Bennison has abandoned the faith; I urge Bishop Bennison to give
Father Moyer a fair trial before his peers.

Lutibelle/Louie