Task force on implementation of canon on women's ministry submits final report

I respect the members of the Task Force, and appreciate their tireless
efforts in a difficult and largely thankless mission.

I am disappointed with the Task Force's refusal to "assist" the three
dioceses as General Convention charged Council to do.

No one likes to be coercive, but that is precisely what the members of the
Task Force were appointed to be.  The Task Force is right in stressing
that unwanted assistance is coercive.  So are red lights.  So are canons.
So would be presentments if brought against the three bishops who refuse
to obey the mandatory canons of the church.

I could give the background papers on A045 to any freshmen English class
of non-Episcopalians or even non-Christians, ask them to brainstorm, and
in an hour present a list at least 20 ways to "assist" the three dioceses
to comply with the canons and still not require bishops to violate their
consciences by themselves ordaining women.  That would be an easy writing
assignment. For example, they might suggest:

* Executive Council could send in women priests to serve in those dioceses,
  each not staying for more than 59 days, after which the Title III,
  Canon 3a would require them to have the consent of the local bishop.

* Executive Council might operate a Radio Free ECUSA to broadcast the
  priestly services of women in the three dioceses, so that Episcopalians
  there will not grow up unaware of women's priestly ministries

* Executive Council might send materials on women's ministries to every
  communicant in those dioceses

* ....

Not one of these suggested ways to "assist" is as coercive as presentments
would be.  Clearly the bishops are in violation of the canons that they
have sworn to uphold.  Clearly they should be found guilty in a Court for
the Trial of a Bishop.  But I hope we won't go that route.  One reason
that I voted for A045 was to offer an irenic alternative to presentments.

The report on the deployment of women in other dioceses was well done, and
I hope that the General Convention Office will publish it on the church's
website.  I also hope that it will gather and publish the same data for
the 8 non-domestic dioceses and on the Diocese of Cuba, the Diocese of
Puerto Rico, and the Diocese of Venezuela, all three of whom are exploring
joining ECUSA.  (Venezuela has already asked; Cuba and Puerto Rico have
called extraordinary conventions to vote on whether to ask, meeting very
soon.)

The report on the 100 domestic dioceses shows that many dioceses have made
very little progress towards deployment of women clergy, especially in
percentage of women leading parishes.  In  18 dioceses (18%) under 5
percent of those who lead parishes are women.

I am uneasy in contemplating a "day of dialogue and reflection" at the
2006 General Convention, 30 years after women were first ordained legally
in ECUSA. I realize that the dialogue is supposed to "assist" us move
towards the goal of deployment of women in all dioceses.  At a certain
point talk can become a cheap substitute for action.

We changed the canons on women's ordination 1976.  ECUSA had only 14
"irregularly" ordained women priests at that time.  By 2001, women were
20.3% of the 17,118 clergy listed in the Clerical Directory.  Women 25.5%
of the clergy in the House of Deputies for 2003 (and 38.4% of the full
house).  Isn't it about time we do more than talk to assure that
women have a full and equal change of employment throughout ECUSA

Lutibelle/Louie
L2 Newark

Here's the text of the resolution that Executive Council voted to bring to
GC 2003:

Resolved, the House of ____ concurring, the 24th General Convention receive
with thanks the report of the visitors representing the Executive Council in
the implementation of Resolution A045 of the 73rd General Convention; and be
it further

Resolved, the House of ____ concurring, that we give thanks for the work of
the Holy Spirit within our Communion through the life-giving ministry of
ordained women; and be it further

Resolved that, inasmuch as the 72nd General Convention in resolution A052
clarified that the canons regarding the ordination  of women are mandatory,
that this church engage in a national conversation drawing on the best
resources available, including theological, beginning in the year following
the 74th General Convention, sponsored by its Executive Council and with
implementation by church staff and other appropriate entities, in order to
(1) assist the whole church to promote, explore and develop ways to
facilitate the ordination of women in every diocese and their full and equal
deployment through the church; and (2) prepare for a day a dialogue and
reflection to be held at the 75th General Convention in 2006; and be it
further

Resolved, that the budget for the 2004-2006 Triennium include $50,000 for
this national conversation.