Anglican: Parishes with 1,000+ down 6% in last year

The 1998 Episcopal Church Annual lists only 207 parishes with 1,000+
members, down 13 (6%) from the 1997 Episcopal Church Annual.

See the parishes ranked by size, and again, ranked by rectors' ages (with
reports of length of service) at

         http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/biggest.html

Later I will add additional statistics on the rectors.

There is a sure way to reverse any loss of membership:  Invite someone to
church this Sunday who would be surprised by your welcome.

"The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding
banquet for his son.  He sent his slaves to call those who had been
invited to the wedding banquet, but they would not come.  Again he sent
other slaves, saying, 'Tell those who have been invited: Look, I have
prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and
everything is ready; come to the wedding banquet.' But they made light of
it and went away, one to his farm, another to his business, while the rest
seized his slaves, mistreated them, and killed them.  The king was
enraged. He sent his troops, destroyed those murderers, and burned their
city.  Then he said to his slaves, 'The wedding is ready, but those
invited were not worthy.  Go therefore into the main streets, and invite
everyone you find to the wedding banquet.' Those slaves went out into the
streets and gathered all whom they found, both good and bad; so the
wedding hall was filled with guests.  Matthew 22:2-10

Thousands are dying for the lack of the good news we have heard.

Lutibelle/Louie

      Louie Crew, English Dept., Rutgers, Newark, NJ 07102 973-485-4503
           Chair, Rutgers University Senate.  Board of Governors.
                        http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew

  There are  4  days until the election of the Bishop Coadjutor of Newark.