ANGLICAN: Viewing the culture through the lens of Scripture

A British journalist who is a friend of mine lamented that the bishops at
Lambeth are marinalizing my bishop.  I just replied to her:

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Jack Spong's major influence is not in having bishops hear him, but in
having bishops know that he, more than they, has the ears of many of the
world's thinkers.  He's read more than almost all of them combined
according to the holdings of research libraries, See my 1995 "Report
Card on the House of Bishops" at
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/bprepcrd.html

> As +Victoria Matthews said in an earlier press conference, as
> Xns we need to view our culture through the lens of scripture rather than
> the other way around; scripture takes precedence over culture.

I concur and have been doing primarily that throughout my ministry, yet
many who applaud Bishop Matthews prefer to view lesbigay Christians
through the lens of the current culture of heterosexism.

The Sodom story in today's lectionary (Genesis 18:20-33) is a good case in
point:  heterosexists can smugly relax seeing themselves as one of only
four remaining who are righteous (notice that even Abraham didn't push his
luck and to bargain God down to four!), yet many do not notice and rejoice
with me in the epistle affirmation that Jesus nailed all the law's
requirements to the cross.  "God made you alive together with him, when he
forgave us ALL our trespasses, erasing the record that stood against us
with its legal demands.  He set this aside, nailing it to the cross.  He
disarmed the rulers and authorities {and Lambeth bishops} and made a
public example of them, triumphing over them in it" (Colossians 2:6-15)

Joy to absolutely everybody!

And love to you,

Faithfully,

Lutibelle/Louie

      Louie Crew, English Dept., Rutgers, Newark, NJ 07102 973-485-4503
           Chair, Rutgers University Senate.  Board of Governors.
                        http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew

               Homosexuality is not a decision; heterosexism is.