Re: Fwd: Archbishop of Canterbury : Not an Equal Three-Legged Stool

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 JDonne6441@aol.com wrote:

> Passed with blessings,  FYI,   ---    John Donnelly+

I recognize that blessings are your intention, John, but it is hard to
receive this report as a blessing when it sounds like gloating, especially
with Father Hurd's revision of the subject line from "Archbishop Carey
emphasizes 4 Anglican ministries" to "Archbishop of Canterbury : Not an
Equal Three-Legged Stool."

I take no delight in seeing the Archbishop sit on a stool that is
whampijawed and unstable, especially when many routinely detach the longer
leg, sand away its comfortable words, and hurl the remaining condemnation
upon my my people as a club rather than as a book of life.

It certainly commands no courage for the Archbishop to choose the parts of
the Lambeth conference that his audience wants to hear and already agrees
with.  I would have more respect for him if he dared also to invite them
into the pledge that he and all others voting for the Lambeth resolution
made, to listen to lesbians and gays.  I would have more respect for him
if he used that setting of the Southern Cone, known for its machismo, to
dare to condemn the abuse of lesbians and gays as did the Lambeth
resolution.  His coded and selective remarks sound cowardly in that place.

I appreciate the sign at his own cathedral enjoining folks to keep the
door firmly closed against sheep.  That's honest.

I rejoice that I have another Shepherd who knows my voice, who goes to the
highways and the hedges to be with my people.

Lutibelle/Louie

 L Crew, Box 30, Nwk, NJ 07101 973-485-4503. http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew