Re: On the notion to delay voting on sexual issues at GC in 2000

Tom Rightmyer sent me back to the calculator when he correctly pointed out
that to win in a vote by orders is not necessarily tantamount to requiring
a two-third majority.  I was thinking in terms of the hardest case
scenario where every yes vote is 4 to 0 and every no vote is at least 3 to
1.

The tallies on on C002 at were:
(i.e. the proposal to put same-sex service in the Bk of Occasional
Services)

56	yes
41	no
15	divided
57 yes were needed to win

and for clergy:

56	yes
37	no
20	divided
57 yes votes were needed to win

Assuming 4 persons in each order for each diocese, if the maximum voted
for (4*yes) and the minimum voted against (leaving 1*no, or one positive
vote for each 'no' vote), the votes would be close to the two-third
majority that I envisioned:

Lay
yes	224
no	41
divided	30
	295
	65.85% for

Clergy
yes	224
no	37
divided	40
	301
	66.59% for

but if the yeses were minimum (3 to 1) and the no's were maximum (4 to 0)
the tallies would be indeed quite under 50&

Lay
yes	168
no	0
divided	30
	198
	44.20% for

Clergy
yes	168
no	0
divided	40
	208
	46.02%

Since it is impossible to determine how the votes were actually divided in
any one diocese in 1997, the results are hard to interpret.  It seems safe
to conclude that to win a vote by orders one would be wise to have 2/3rds
lined up to be on the safe side, but a resolution can actually pass with
well under 50% of the vote.