Listening to those of Regeneration. Was: How to Expedite the Process

> Perhaps we should ask the folks at Regeneration - and other
> organizations of lesbians and gays who are seeking another way.

I agree with you that it is important to hear all sides.
Unfortunately most whom Regeneration claims to have healed rarely show
up at General Convention or at other venues to be heard, but instead
straights speak for them.  We who have experienced Good News need to
be there to tell it.

I agree with you that not all gay life is positive or healthy, any
more than all straight life is.  I value Alan Medinger, the founder of
Regeneration, and his wife Willa.  I am glad that they re-discovered
mystery and joy in their relationship.   I delight that Alan left his
promiscuous life in the parks of Baltimore.  I value his honesty and
his willingness to share the stigma with me by telling of Jesus's part
in that experience.  I believe his witness.  I too was delivered from
a promiscuous life into a loving and committed relationship.  I think
either one of us would be wrong to make an icon out of the way that
God has worked in our lives:  people need to hear all perspectives and
try to discern how God is calling them.

Alan and Willa left the Episcopal Church, and even while they were a
part of it, most of their ministry was with non-Episcopalians.
Exodus has no formal ties with the Episcopal Church.  Earle Foxe at
Emmaus Ministries in Ambridge claims to cure queers, but he alone has
spoken whenever I have journeyed to hear his testimony. I come away
from Earle's witness wishing he would speak candidly about the break
up of his own marriage rather than invest so much energy in trying to
trash my marriage.  Are there Episcopal Ex-Gays who will speak up?

You can read my account of a Regeneration conference that I attended
at few years back at
http://www.qrd.com/religion/anti/exgay/regeneration.txt  I continue to
be deeply moved by the experience.

Lutibelle/Louie

L Crew, Box 30, Nwk, NJ 07101. 973-485-4503.
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew