Department of Linguistics
Rutgers University, New Brunswick
18 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08904
I am a PhD candidate in Linguistics at Rutgers University. My research interests include psycho-linguistics, language acquisition and learnability, semantics/pragmatics, philosophy of language, philosophy of mind, and epistemology.
My research intersects linguistics, psychology and philosophy, in particular, I'm interested in the interaction between linguistic representations and other areas of cognition. I am a member of the Laboratory for Developmental Language Studies, directed by Kristen Syrett. I am also pursuing a Certificate in Cognitive Science through the Rutgers Center for Cognitive Science, under the supervision of Paul Pietroski.
Previously, I was a research assistant at the Project on Children's Language Learning at the University of Maryland. I worked there on several projects with Valentine Hacquard and Jeff Lidz on the acquisition of the semantics/pragmatics of attitude verbs.
In semantics/pragmatics, I work with Kristen Syrett exploring the distribution of mention-some readings of embedded questions. I'm interested in how their distribution is licensed by contextual/discourse goals, and yet constrained by the linguistic representation of the embedded clause.
I am also working with Bruce Tesar on the learnability of prosodic systems. I explore the challenge of maintaining restrictiveness in the face of paradigmatic subsets, and propose an inductive solution using Tesar (2014)'s Output-Driven Learning Algorithm which solves this problem by exploiting neutralizations evident from a language's phonotactic distribution.
In my free time I hang out with my cat, Cezi, practice yoga, cycle, write sestinas and play guitar. I also enjoy hiking, camping and foraging.
- Moyer, M. and B. Tesar. (2017). `Output-Driven Learning, Restrictiveness, and an Inductive Leap: learning stress-less prosodic systems from distributional evidence'. Manuscript, Rutgers University.
- Moyer, M. and K. Syrett. (2016). `Issues in the Semantics and Pragmatics of Question Embedding: An Experimental Investigation'. Manuscript, Rutgers University.
- Moyer, M., K. Harrigan, V. Hacquard and J. Lidz. (2015). `2-year-olds' comprehension of personal pronouns'. In Supplemental Proceedings of 39th Boston University Conference on Language Development.
- Dudley, R., N. Orita, M. Moyer, V. Hacquard and J. Lidz. (2014). `Factivity in three year olds' understanding of know and think.' In Proceedings of 38th Boston University Conference on Language Development.
- Moyer, M. and Kristen Syrett. `Contextual, lexical and structural factors licensing Mention-Some Embedded Questions'. Talk. CLS 54. University of Chicago. April 2018.
- Moyer, M. and Bruce Tesar. `Inductive Leaps and Output-Driven Learning' Talk. NECPHON 11, Stony Brook University. October 2017.
- Moyer, M. and Kristen Syrett. `Lexical, Contextual Factors Licensing Mention-Some Interpretations.' Poster. MACSIM. October 2017.
- Moyer, M and Bruce Tesar. `Output-Driven Learning, distributional generalizations, and inductive leaps'. RuLing XII, Rutgers University. May 2017.
- Moyer, M and B. Tesar. `Output-Driven Learning, distributional generalizations, and inductive leaps'. Rutgers/Delaware/Haverford Workshop on Computational Phonology. April 2017.
- Moyer, M and K. Syrett. `An experimental investigation of knowledge-wh: exhaustive and non-exhaustive readings'. Cognitive Science Graduate Talk Series, Rutgers University. December 2015.
- Moyer, M., K. Harrigan, V. Hacquard, J. Lidz. '2-year-olds track discourse roles through pronominal reference'. 6th bi-annual Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition. February 2015.
- Moyer, M., K. Harrigan, V. Hacquard, J. Lidz. `2-year-olds' comprehension of personal pronouns'. Poster presented at the 39th annual Boston University Conference on Language Development. October 2014.
- Dudley, R, N. Orita, M. Moyer, V. Hacquard, J. Lidz. `Factivity in three-year-olds' understand of know and think'. Paper presented at the 38th annual Boston University Conference on Child Language Development. November 2013.
- Dudley, R., N. Orita, V., M. Moyer, Hacquard, J. Lidz. `Three-year-olds understanding of know and think.' Paper presented at the 49th annual meeting of the Chicago Linguistics Society. April 2013.
- Moyer, M., R. Dudley, N. Orita, V. Hacquard, J. Lidz. `Are three-year-olds really insensitive to factivity?' Poster presented at the Phlint 1: An Interdisciplinary Workshop on Beliefs and Desires. April 2013.
- Moyer, M., R. Dudley, N. Orita, V. Hacquard, J. Lidz. `Are three-year-olds really insensitive to factivity?' Poster presented at the 3rd Annual Mid-Atlantic Colloquium of Studies in Meaning. April 2013.
- Spring 2017: Introduction to Linguistic Theory (Instructor)
- Fall 2016: Introduction to Linguistic Theory (TA for Simon Charlow, instructor)
- Fall 2018: Cognitive Science: A Multidisciplinary Introduction (TA)