Department of Linguistics
Rutgers University, New Brunswick
18 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08904
I am a fourth year graduate student at Rutgers University. My research interests include language acquisition and learnability, semantics and pragmatics, philosophy of language, philosophy of mind, and epistemology.
My research intersects linguistics, psychology and philosophy, in particular, I'm interested in the interaction between linguistic representations and other areas of cognition. I am a member of the Laboratory for Developmental Language Studies, directed by Kristen Syrett. I am also pursuing a Certificate in Cognitive Science through the Rutgers Center for Cognitive Science, under the supervision of Paul Pietroski.
Previously, I was a research assistant at the Project on Children's Language Learning at the University of Maryland. I worked there on several projects with Valentine Hacquard and Jeff Lidz on the acquisition of the semantics/pragmatics of attitude verbs.
In semantics/pragmatics, I work with Kristen Syrett exploring the distribution of mention-some readings of embedded questions. I'm interested in how their distribution is licensed by contextual/discourse goals, and yet constrained by the linguistic representation of the embedded clause.
I am also working with Bruce Tesar on the learnability of prosodic systems. I explore the challenge of maintaining restrictiveness in the face of paradigmatic subsets, and propose an inductive solution using Tesar (2014)'s Output-Driven Learning Algorithm which solves this problem by exploiting neutralizations evident from a language's phonotactic distribution.
In my free time I hang out with my cat, Cezi, I practice yoga, I write sestinas and play guitar.
- Moyer, M. and B. Tesar. (2017). `Output-Driven Learning, Restrictiveness, and an Inductive Leap: learning stress-less prosodic systems from distributional evidence'. Manuscript, Rutgers University.
- Moyer, M. and K. Syrett. (2016). `Issues in the Semantics and Pragmatics of Question Embedding: An Experimental Investigation'. Manuscript, Rutgers University.
- Moyer, M., K. Harrigan, V. Hacquard and J. Lidz. (2015). `2-year-olds' comprehension of personal pronouns'. In Supplemental Proceedings of 39th Boston University Conference on Language Development.
- Dudley, R., N. Orita, M. Moyer, V. Hacquard and J. Lidz. (2014). `Factivity in three year olds' understanding of know and think.' In Proceedings of 38th Boston University Conference on Language Development.
- Moyer, M. and Kristen Syrett. `Contextual, lexical and structural factors licensing Mention-Some Embedded Questions'. Talk. CLS 54. University of Chicago. April 2018.
- Moyer, M. and Bruce Tesar. `Inductive Leaps and Output-Driven Learning' Talk. NECPHON 11, Stony Brook University. October 2017.
- Moyer, M. and Kristen Syrett. `Lexical, Contextual Factors Licensing Mention-Some Interpretations.' Poster. MACSIM. October 2017.
- Moyer, M and Bruce Tesar. `Output-Driven Learning, distributional generalizations, and inductive leaps'. RuLing XII, Rutgers University. May 2017.
- Moyer, M and B. Tesar. `Output-Driven Learning, distributional generalizations, and inductive leaps'. Rutgers/Delaware/Haverford Workshop on Computational Phonology. April 2017.
- Moyer, M and K. Syrett. `An experimental investigation of knowledge-wh: exhaustive and non-exhaustive readings'. Cognitive Science Graduate Talk Series, Rutgers University. December 2015.
- Moyer, M., K. Harrigan, V. Hacquard, J. Lidz. '2-year-olds track discourse roles through pronominal reference'. 6th bi-annual Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition. February 2015.
- Moyer, M., K. Harrigan, V. Hacquard, J. Lidz. `2-year-olds' comprehension of personal pronouns'. Poster presented at the 39th annual Boston University Conference on Language Development. October 2014.
- Dudley, R, N. Orita, M. Moyer, V. Hacquard, J. Lidz. `Factivity in three-year-olds' understand of know and think'. Paper presented at the 38th annual Boston University Conference on Child Language Development. November 2013.
- Dudley, R., N. Orita, V., M. Moyer, Hacquard, J. Lidz. `Three-year-olds understanding of know and think.' Paper presented at the 49th annual meeting of the Chicago Linguistics Society. April 2013.
- Moyer, M., R. Dudley, N. Orita, V. Hacquard, J. Lidz. `Are three-year-olds really insensitive to factivity?' Poster presented at the Phlint 1: An Interdisciplinary Workshop on Beliefs and Desires. April 2013.
- Moyer, M., R. Dudley, N. Orita, V. Hacquard, J. Lidz. `Are three-year-olds really insensitive to factivity?' Poster presented at the 3rd Annual Mid-Atlantic Colloquium of Studies in Meaning. April 2013.
- Spring 2017: Introduction to Linguistic Theory (Instructor)
- Fall 2016: Introduction to Lingustic Theory (TA for Simon Charlow, instructor)
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."