Topics in Biochemistry for Outside Reading
- Holiday Junctions are DNA structures that
propagate "crossing over" of 2 double stranded DNA molecules. There is an
interesting animation on the page.
- Garrett and Grisham site for MBB students -- this also
contains some nice animations. You should give username "student" password
- The F1 ATPase makes ATP via conformational
changes (open, loose, and tight) which are driven by the rotation of Fo.
- Phenylketonuria is caused by incorrect metabolism
of Phenylalanine. Here is a discussion of the disease.
- Viagra is an inhibitor of PDE-5, an enzyme
which breaks down cyclic GMP.
- DHEA or Dehydroepiandrosterone is a human
steroidal hormone -- production falls off sharply after age 40.
- Homocysteine is an unusual amino acid which
seems to be linked to heart trouble.
- Celebra is the brand name for an inhibitor of cox-2, a
specific cyclo-oxygenase. It reduces inflammation by preventing formation of
- Nitric Oxide causes vasodilation -- it is the
only known case of a gas functioning as a transmitter.
are useful for understanding how the rotation of Fo causes
conformational changes of F1 in mitochondria.