Dr. Dushenkov, an Assistant Professor at the department of Natural Sciences at CUNY-Hostos Community College and a visiting research professor at SEBS, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is an accomplished scientist and business executive experienced in R&D management, regulatory affairs, intellectual property protection and marketing, strategic planning, and contract/joint venture negotiations. Dr. Vyacheslav Dushenkov supplements nine years of leading management and research in technology based companies with fifteen years of teaching, research, and administrative experience at major universities.
As a managing director at the Global Institute for BioExploration (GIBEX) Dr. Dushenkov developed and administered global research and training programs in early botanical therapeutics lead discovery stretched across four continents and 18 countries. For five years Dr. Dushenkov has been Vice President for Research and Business development at WellGen, Inc., a nutrigenomic company. Prior to working for WellGen, Dr. Dushenkov has been deeply involved in development and management of a variety of international and national biotechnology projects. In his capacity as a Research and Innovations Marketing Coordinator at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey he was highly instrumental in building ties between the University and pharmaceutical industry and streamlining the technology transfer process.
Dr. Dushenkov is focused on developing breakthrough technological applications of fundamental and applied biological research. He has published over 100 scientific papers and is a co-inventor on ten US patents.
Nutraceuticals and Drug Development
- Turmagambetova, A. S., N. S. Sokolova, A. P. Bogoyavlenskiy, V. E. Berezin, M. A. Lila, D. M. Cheng and V. Dushenkov. New functionally-enhanced soy proteins as food ingredients with anti-viral activity. VirusDisease, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 123-132, 2015.
- Wu, J-C., Lai, C-S., Dushenkov, S., Wang, Y-J., Ho, C-T., Pan, M-H. Impact on Epigenetics in Cancer Chemoprevention by Natural Dietary Compounds. In: Ho, C. T., Mussinan, C., Shahidi, F., Contis, E. T., eds. Nutrition, Functional and Sensory Properties of Foods. Cambridge, UK: Royal Society of Chemistry; 243-250, ISBN: 978-1-84973-644-2, 2013.
- Wu, H., S. Dushenkov, C.-T. Ho, and S. Sang. Novel acetylated flavonoid glycosides from the leaves of Allium ursinum. Food Chemistry 115(2): 592-595, 2009.
- Dushenkov, V., J. Akimaliev, K. C. Buriev, et al. The role of the ICBG program in building new pharmaceutical capabilities in Central Asia. First Congress of Phytotherapists and Phytopharmacologists of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Tajikistan International Institute for Study of Avicenna Heritage and Pharmacology, 2008.
- Dushenkov, V., and I. Raskin. New strategy for the search of natural biologically active substances. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 55(4): 564-567, 2008.
- Lai, C.-S., S. Li, C.-Y. Chai, C.-Y. Lo, S. Dushenkov, C.-T. Ho, M.-H. Pan, and Y.-J. Wang. Anti-inflammatory and antitumor promotional effects of a novel urinary metabolite, 3',4'-didemethylnobiletin, derived from nobiletin. Carcinogenesis 29(12): 2415-2424, 2008.
- Li, S., C.-Y. Lo, S. Dushenkov, and C.-T. Ho. Polymethoxyflavones: chemistry, biological activity, and occurrence in orange peel. ACS Symposium Series 987 (Dietary Supplements): 191-210, 2008.
- Li, S., C.-Y. Lo, S. Dushenkov, and C.-T. Ho. Isolation and purification of polymethoxyflavones as substrates for efficacy studies. ACS Symposium Series 987 (Dietary Supplements): 211-215, 2008.
- Li, S., D. Tan, S. Dushenkov, and C.-T. Ho. Polymethoxyflavones: metabolite identification and pathway. ACS Symposium Series 987 (Dietary Supplements): 216-232, 2008.
- Li, S., Y. Wang, S. Dushenkov, and C.-T. Ho. Bioavailability of polymethoxyflavones. ACS Symposium Series 987 (Dietary Supplements): 233-245, 2008.
- Pan, M.-H., J.-H. Gao, C.-S. Lai, Y.-J. Wang, W.-M. Chen, C.-Y. Lo, M. Wang, S. Dushenkov, and C.-T. Ho. Antitumor activity of 3,5,4'-trimethoxystilbene in COLO 205 cells and xenografts in SCID mice. Molecular Carcinogenesis 47(3): 184-196, 2008.
- Sergeev, I. N., C.-T. Ho, S. Li, J. Colby, and S. Dushenkov. Apoptosis-inducing activity of hydroxylated polymethoxyflavones and polymethoxyflavones from orange peel in human breast cancer cells. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, 51: 1478-1484, 2007.
- Pan, M.-H., Y.-S. Lai, C.-S. Lai, Y.-J. Wang, S. Li, C.-Y. Lo, S. Dushenkov, and C.-T. Ho. 5-Hydroxy-3,6,7,8,3',4'-hexamethoxyflavone Induces Apoptosis through Reactive Oxygen Species Production, Growth Arrest and DNA Damage-Inducible Gene 153 Expression, and Caspase Activation in Human Leukemia Cells. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 55(13): p. 5081-5091, 2007.
- Li, S., M.-H. Pan, C.-S. Lai, C.-Y. Lo, S. Dushenkov, and C.-T. Ho. Isolation and syntheses of polymethoxyflavones and hydroxylated polymethoxyflavones as inhibitors of HL-60 cell lines. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 15(10): p. 3381-3389, 2007.
- Sergeev, I. N., S. Li, J. Colby, C.-T. Ho, and S. Dushenkov. Polymethoxylated flavones induce Ca2+-mediated apoptosis in breast cancer cells. Life Sciences, 80(3): p. 245-253, 2006.
- Evans, D. A., J. B. Hirsch, and S. Dushenkov. Phenolics, inflammation, and nutrigenomics. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 86(15): p. 2503-2509, 2006.
Ecology and Evolution
- Dushenkov, S. (2003). "Trends in phytoremediation of radionuclides." Plant and Soil 249(1): 167-175.
- Barocsi, A., Z. Csintalan, L. Kocsanyi, S. Dushenkov, J. M. Kuperberg, R. Kucharski and P. I. Richter (2003). "Optimizing phytoremediation of heavy metal-contaminated soil by exploiting plants' stress adaptation." International Journal of Phytoremediation 5(1): 13-23.
- Dushenkov, S., M. Skarzhinskaya, K. Glimelius, D. Gleba and I. Raskin (2002). "Bioengineering of a phytoremediation plant by means of somatic hybridization." International Journal of Phytoremediation 4(2): 117-126.
- Dushenkov, S. and Y. Kapulnik. Phytofiltration of metals. Phytoremediation of Toxic Metals, p. 89-106, 2000.
- Gleba, D., N. V. Borisjuk, L. G. Borisjuk, R. Kneer, A. Poulev, M. Skarzhinskaya, S. Dushenkov, S. Logendra, Y. Y. Gleba, and I. Raskin. Use of plant roots for phytoremediation and molecular farming. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 96(11): p. 5973-5977, 1999.
- Dushenkov, S., A. Mikheev, A. Prokhnevsky, M. Ruchko and B. Sorochinsky (1999). "Phytoremediation of radiocesium-contaminated soil in the vicinity of Chernobyl, Ukraine." Environ. Sci. Technol. 33(3): 469-475.
- Dushenkov, V. and I. Raskin (1999). "Phytoremediation: a new green revolution in ecology." Chemistry and Life(11-12): 48-49.
- Dushenkov, S., D. Vasudev, Y. Kapulnik, D. Gleba, D. Fleisher, K. C. Ting and B. Ensley (1997). "Removal of uranium from water using terrestrial plants." Environ. Sci. Technol. 31(12): 3468-3474.
- Dushenkov, V., N. P. B. A. Kumar, H. Motto and I. Raskin (1995). "Rhizofiltration: the use of plants to remove heavy metals from aqueous streams." Environ. Sci. Technol. 29: 1239-1245.
- Kumar, N. P. B. A., V. Dushenkov, H. Motto and I. Raskin (1995). "Phytoextraction: the use of plants to remove heavy metals from soils." Environ. Sci. Technol. 29: 1232-1238.
- Degteva, S. V., V. I. Ponomarev, S. W. Eisenman and V. Dushenkov. "Striking the balance: Challenges and perspectives for the protected areas network in northeastern European Russia." Ambio 44(6): 473-490, 2015.
- Struwe, L., S. Dushenkov, S. Eisenman, M. Tadych, and I. Raskin. International education in biodiversity and biodocumentation - collaborative approaches. In: Ecological Characteristics of Biodiversity. Khorog, Tajikistan: Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan, p. 272-278, 2007.
- Dushenkov, V. M., M. A. Lila, and I. Raskin. Global bioexploration and biodiversity conservation in Ecological Characteristics of Biodiversity. Khorog, Tajikistan: Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan p. 73-77, 2007.
- Dushenkov, S. (2003). The virtues of an evolutionary biology education. Education Symposium-The Added Value of Training in Evolutionary Biology. Evolution 2003: The annual Joint Meeting of the Society for the Study of Evolution, Society of Systematic Biologists, and American Society of Naturalists, Chico, CA.
- Dushenkov, V. M. Biological Olympiads in the USSR. The American Biology Teacher, 55(7): p. 399-404, 1993.
- Dushenkov, V. M. and T. A. Chernykhovskaya (1989). "Larvae of ground beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae) on agricultural fields near Moscow." Zool. Zh. 68(11): 48-55.
- Dushenkov, V. M. (1985). "Seasonal dynamics of the spectrum of beetle (Coleoptera, Carabidae) life forms on cultivated lands in the Moscow region." Sov. J. Ecol. 16(4): 224-228.
- Dushenkov, V. M. (1984). "Structural peculiarities of the population of ground beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae) on the cultivated lands of the Moscow district." Zool. Zh. 63(12): 1814-1821.
- Dushenkov, V. M. (1983). "Basic mechanisms in the composition of ground beetle (Coleoptera, Carabidae) complexes in agrocenoses." Dokl. Biol. Sci. N.Y. 265(1-6): 460-462.
- Feoktistov, V. F. and V. M. Dushenkov (1982). "Seasonal dynamics of activity of the ground beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae) in forests of different types at the southern taiga boundary." Zool. Zh. 61(2): 27-232.
Issued US Patents:
- 7,351,739 Bioactive compounds and methods of uses thereof.
- 7,288,680 Benzotropolone derivatives and modulation of inflammatory response.
- 7,087,790 Benzotropolone derivatives and modulation of inflammatory response.
- 6,159,270 Phytoremediation of metals.
- 5,928,406 Conversion of metal oxidation states by phytoreduction.
- 5,917,117 Inducing hyperaccumulation of metals in plant shoots.
- 5,876,484 Method for removing soluble metals from an aqueous phase.
- 5,785,735 Phytoremediation of metals.
- 5,393,426 Method for removing soluble metals from an aqueous phase.
- 5,364,451 Phytoremediation of metals.